2017 is around the corner, and with the New Year comes a renewed resolution to raise the bar and redefine the benchmark for quality in your wine-by-the-glass service. Quality, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, or in this case, their palates. If a restaurant claims to have a quality wine-by-the-glass program, what does that mean in 2016? How will you raise the bar in 2017?
The most important perspective is that of the guest. Stating we’re committed to quality doesn’t mean anything without defining the attributes of a “quality wine-by-the-glass service.”
Let’s consider our modern day wine drinkers. Their knowledge and appreciation of fine wine have evolved and many are now wine savvy. What did they think 2016 offered in terms of a ‘quality’ program?
From a restaurateur’s point of view, this is one of the most important questions to ask. If you get the answers you need, this will translate into a triple win. Increased profitable sales, zero wastage, and you will reach the levels of quality perceived so important to your most valuable guest.
A quality wine-by-the-glass program done right will attract the high-value guests you want and keep them coming back for more, thus boosting those critically important guest retention and return rates.
Another win that sometimes goes unnoticed from a quality service is the level of staff motivation you will achieve. Your staff will be more confident offering your high profit “trade-up” selections because they know the chance of exceeding guest expectations is high and the fear of disappointment is lessened.
Now that we’ve touched upon why you need to ensure a quality wine by the glass experience, let’s dive into the what and how.
So what are the top quality attributes of a wine-by-the-glass program that add to the experience today’s guest is looking for?
- An enticing range of premium selections conspicuously cared for. This comforts the guest and piques their interest
- A well-defined wine-by-the-glass list
- An attractive display, with your bottles organized, showing off preservation stoppers. (Lose the corks which are a signal of old uncared for stale wine)
- Appropriate stemware with enough swirl room to fully enjoy the wine
- Commercial grade wine & Champagne preservation. Doing so boosts your attention to detail and is a ‘Quality identifier’. This also has the benefit of eliminating expensive waste
- Wines poured fresh from the bottle, offering the ‘Perfect Serve’—Show, Taste, Pour, Enjoy!
- Correct serving temperature for both reds and white wines
- Value priced premium ‘trade-up’ selections
- Choice of pour sizes—2 or 3oz tasting size, a regular 5 or 6 oz pour, and consider a plus size 9oz glass
- Consider part bottle pours in carafes—Quartinos (250ml) or 1/2 Liter Carafes are also ideal for savvy guests who want to share and also anticipate for service delays
- Confident staff who clearly care for the wine, adding value to the experience
With costs increasing, restaurants are under pressure to control costs while at the same time elevate the guest experience to attract the more discerning, high-value guest.
Great wine-by-the-glass service is the affordable luxury that so often is the lever leading to higher profits per guest, and a memorable experience that stimulates guest loyalty.
If you are to make one addition to your wine-by-the-glass program, let it be the Le Verre de Vin preservation system. Your bottom line, employees, and guests will thank you for it.
Contact us to discuss how we can help you elevate your wine-by-the-glass service in 2017.
You’ll not only raise the bar on your existing service, but you’ll set a new standard of quality and generate the profits to prove it.